Improper use of a space heater factor in Zion, Ill., fire that destroyed minivan, garage; no one injured | Local News

ZION, sick. – Firefighters said improper use of a space heater is believed to have played a role in a fire that destroyed a minivan and detached garage on Saturday.

The fire was reported at 1:18 p.m. on the 1800 block of 21st Street, when City of Zion firefighters arrived to find the minivan next to the garage, both of which were “completely involved in fire and heavy smoke conditions at the scene,” said Battalion Chief Jason Messick.

Rescuers on site put out the fire and found nobody in the minivan with a thermal imaging camera. According to Messick, no one was injured in the fire. Among the fire department’s initial concerns was that the minivan was being used as a residence by the owner.

An investigation found the fire had started in or around the minivan before spreading to the garage.

“Improper use of heating elements and overloading of extension cords may have played a role in this fire,” he said in the release. A cause has yet to be determined.

People also read…

The fire resulted in approximately $85,000 in damage, including $35,000 to the vehicle and $50,000 to the garage and its contents, according to Messick.

The fire that killed 17 and injured dozens more in the Bronx over the weekend was caused by a space heater, and sadly this is not an isolated case. Here are some safety precautions to take when using these. Veuers Johana Restrepo has more.

Firefighters warned people to read the safety warnings on devices powered by extension cords, as they are rated based on the amperage they can safely carry and the wattage they can handle. They said they shouldn’t be used to continuously power most household items. They warned that space heaters should be used when people are present.

Other issues included icy conditions and overhead power lines in an alley that allowed access to the vehicle and garage. According to the Zion Fire Department, the utility company was notified and a city salt truck was called to help.

Nearby fire departments that responded to the scene from northern Illinois included Winthrop Harbor, Newport, and Gurnee. Pleasant Prairie Fire Department also responded. They were also assisted with mutual aid in “moving quarters” from North Chicago and Libertyville, Illinois.

IN PHOTOS: Model Market Fire – Night of January 5th

MODEL MARKET BRAND

Kenosha Fire Department workers consult as they continue to battle smoke and flames coming from the Model Market grocery store, 2327 54th St. Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 5 p.m. and firefighters remained on duty through Thursday morning.


Terry Flores


MODEL MARKET BRAND

MODEL MARKET BRAND

The Kenosha Fire Department is battling smoke and flames coming from the Model Market grocery store, 2327 54th St., Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 5 p.m. and the fire brigade was on duty for several hours.


Terry Flores


MODEL MARKET BRAND

MODEL MARKET BRAND

The Kenosha Fire Department is battling smoke and flames coming from the Model Market grocery store, 2327 54th St., Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 5 p.m. and the fire brigade was on duty for several hours.


Terry Flores


MODEL MARKET BRAND

MODEL MARKET BRAND

The Kenosha Fire Department is battling smoke and flames coming from the Model Market grocery store, 2327 54th St., Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 5 p.m. and the fire brigade was on duty for several hours.


Terry Flores


MODEL MARKET BRAND

MODEL MARKET BRAND

Kenosha Fire Departments are battling smoke and flames from the Model Market grocery store at 2327 54th St Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 5 p.m. and firefighters worked for several hours.


Terry Flores


Comments are closed.